Proposal: a revoke() system call

Sergey Babkin babkin at verizon.net
Mon Jul 7 21:57:01 UTC 2008

>From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>

>If the only reason we are dicussing this, is that people find the
>magic pipe to select ugly, then I would even argue that we have not
>reached critical mass for even thinking.

Well, there are a couple of problems with magical pipes:

1. It means using 3 times as many file descriptors. (One for the original
socket, and 2 for the ends of the pipe).

2. When working with the 3rd-party libraries,  it requires a substantial rework of these
libraries. Getting a file decriptor from inside the library's implementation
and forcing it to close is a lot less invasive and can be done with a simple
API wrapper.

-SB