Cleaning up FILE in stdio..

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 23:27:49 UTC 2008

In article <200802261524.30384.jhb at FreeBSD.org> you write:

>This is assuming that the contents and layout of FILE are not a
>public ABI (i.e. we malloc the things internally and consumers should
>just treat the pointer value as a cookie and not grub around in the
>internals).

Most interpreted languages grub around in the internals, as
(historically) do a number of <stdio.h> macros.  Historically Emacs
did so as well (I suppose you can call it an interpreted language).

>Comments?

I think you have the right idea but this will break the ABI in a way
that can't be fudged with symbol versioning.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman at csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry