dev.* analogue for interfaces

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 21 10:07:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
>> We also support interface renaming...  Does newbus mind if you rename the
>> devices in its tree?
>
> I'm not sure whether you're replying to my proposal or to Julian's
> interpretation / extrapolation of it...  but I have no intention of hooking
> interfaces into newbus.  I just want a sysctl tree for struct ifnet like we
> have a sysctl tree for device_t, to access interface parameters which are
> not easily accessible through ifconfig.

Hmm.  When I look at net/if.c, I don't see renaming support, so perhaps this
was just a proposal I was thinking of and not actual code.  In either case, I
think the question stands: in a world where interface renaming is supported,
is your plan to also rename the if.X sysctl tree created for the interface?
Does sysctl have a facility to do this?

I assume that somehow the details of your plan involve automatically creating
a root node for the interface in if_attach and then exposing the node to the
driver, possibly via a new pointer in struct ifnet?  I'm certainly fine with
such a notion, but think we should establish, for devices with a number of
sysctl trees (i.e., dev.em vs if.em, dev.da0 vs disk.da0, etc), a general
philosophy for placing nodes in one or the other somewhat deterministically.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge