[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Feb 18 08:40:13 PST 2008

Csaba Henk <csaba-ml at creo.hu> writes:
> Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
> > Csaba Henk <csaba-ml at creo.hu> writes:
> > > yes, why so? FreeBSD has embraced recently a big chunk of CDDL'd
> > > code without making much fuss about licensing [...]
> > If you're talking about either dtrace or ZFS:
> > [...]
> > 2) It is not part of the GENERIC system and will remain optional due to
> >    the license.
> It smells like apples and oranges to me... GENERIC is the name of the
> default configuration for the _kernel_, isnt'it?

Correct.  It was *you* who brought up the issue of CDDL code in the
kernel.  Peter pointed out, very correctly, that the code in question is
not included in the default kernel.

Before you go any further with this, please take a moment to reflect on
the difference between ~120,000 lines of highly complex kernel code and
~20,000 lines of fairly simple userland code which we know has already
been (at least partly) reimplemented under a friendlier license.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no