Fifolog - a circular file for embedded systems

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Feb 16 14:22:33 PST 2008

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> > I need it as a free standing facility in another contract, and that
> > got
> > me wondering if it should be included in FreeBSD as a general tool ?
>
> I think it's a very useful tool, especially for embedded systems and
> other installations with similar contraints, but I'd like to see it
> in ports rather than base (unless I am missing something and it
> depends on some special features of base that, when changing,
> could possible break it).

One may argue that this facility is potentially useful for a straight
computer in case you want to strictly bound the size of logs in /var,
and as such should be a useful option in the base system. A contrario
i don't see what is gained by relegating it to ports. Quite generally
kernel modules in ports are more a hassle than anything else.

--

Michel TALON