Proposal for redesigning the TTY layer

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Wed Feb 13 23:18:06 PST 2008

* Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> wrote:
> The problem with doing it that way is that insertion of control
> characters, like XON/XOFF or STOP may happen right in the middle
> of UTF-8 sequences. This may be problematic...

This is one of the things that doesn't worry me much, because if the
application takes care to write the entire UTF-8 character at once, it
will enter the clist in the proper order, except when:

- the TTY hits its watermarks during the write
- traffic enters the TTY inwards, which has to be echoed (even though
  this will probably be caught by locking as well), while an UTF-8
  character is entering the TTY outwards.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/