[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Feb 7 15:37:19 PST 2008

In message: <3bbf2fe10802070621h574f5d3kb4fbd86adbab11c at mail.gmail.com>
            "Attilio Rao" <attilio at freebsd.org> writes:
: 2008/2/7, Alfred Perlstein <alfred at freebsd.org>:
: > * Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> [080207 06:13] wrote:
: > > 2008/2/7, Andre Oppermann <andre at freebsd.org>:
: > > > Eric Anderson wrote:
: > > > > I think Alfred's point is really interesting.  How many people that
: > > > > don't use it that say 'axe it' does it take to override 1 person saying
: > > > > 'keep it!'?
: > > >
: > > > The real question is how many people does it take to say 'I'll maintain
: > > > it'?  Just one.  Without it, it will only bitrot as evidenced by Attilios
: > > > question.  NTFS is currently broken, just not as obvious because WITNESS
: > > > didn't track and enforce lockmgr locks.
: > >
: > > Andre catched exactly my point.
: > > The big problem is that we have a list of several unmaintained fs.
: > > NTFS is in this list. The support is not reliable, it is only
: > > available in read mode and eventually bugged.
: > > I'm not sure I want to keep this if nobody wants to maintain it.
: >
: > All I'm saying is that I think this is a bit premature considering
: > the users.  Within less than 24hrs we've had a few users reporting
: > in as users, I'm sure the fixes (now that we have some good assertions)
: > are going to be trivial.
: >
: > Why not let it ferment/rot for a release cycle and then see what
: > the story is?
:
: Obviously if we can fix it is better, but axing is an opportunity I
: don't want to leave out and this is why I wanted to poll users about
: this issue. Eventually, if an axing is decided, it won't happen in
: short times but only once all situations for "migration" will be
: probed and finished.

WE SHOULD NOT AXE IT.  IT IS TOO USEFUL.  VERY RECENTLY IT WORKED VERY
WELL.

There's a lot of other systems in the tree that aren't nearly as
useful that nobody is complaining about that are actually in much
worse shape.

Warner