Magic symlinks redux

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 22 14:59:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:54:29AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> I was reading about new things in NetBSD, and one thing caught my
> attention: per-user /tmp. See
> http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/bx/blosxom.cgi/nb_20080714_0251.html for
> example.
>
> Google says that a discussion about magic symlinks happens every now and
> then in FreeBSD but nothing really gets done. I found this implementation
> which looks like it's for 7.0:
>
> http://butcher.heavennet.ru/patches/kernel/magiclinks/
>
> As far as I understand the VFS (which isn't much...) this looks like an
> trivial patch, and it's compatible with NetBSD. Since I'm interested in
> this (specifically for the per-user /tmp and maybe similar gadgetry), I'd
> like to nurse this patch into the tree, if there are no objections (of
> course, I'll bug anyone I can find who knows VFS to review it :) ).

I have an implementation derived from Andrey's port of the DragonFly
implementation which will be committed in the next month or two.  We
discussed it in detail at the dev summit and subject to a few more
changes and cleanup, it's ready to go.  It allows significantly more
flexibility than the NetBSD approach while avoiding many of the pitfalls
involved in variant symlinks.

-- Brooks