Advanced warning: virtualization work will be afoot

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Aug 15 18:33:19 UTC 2008

Darren Reed wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Do you have any more information about what the details of
> this virtualization work will be?  e.g. will it be similar
> to what Solaris has with zones?
>
> The reason that I ask is that I've just finished getting
> the ipfilter code (non-Sun code) converted to being zone
> aware. What does that mean? Lots of global variables are
> gone, replaced by soft-context structures that are allocated
> and free'd when zones come alive/die.  For BSD, while all
> of the code paths are the same, I'm currently only using
> a single soft context and just pass around a pointer to
> it.
>
> If you're going to be doing similar work for FreeBSD, I
> will try and get this into the tree sooner, rather than
> later, so that there's one less component that you need
> to worry about.
>
> Cheers,
> Darren

look at the following document:

http://perforce.freebsd.org/fileLogView.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/vimage/porting_to_vimage.txt

sorry if that wraps

there are patches at:

also look at the patches in the ipfilter files in that branch.

If you are doingthe work for zones then that will be applicable.

BTW you might look at dropping all teh suport for freeBSD 3.x in
your files :-)
the aggregate diff can be found at:

http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/vimage.diff.

If you want to handle ipfilter yourself then we'd be happy to let you
do it.