Reminder: non-mpsafetty drivers to be *dis*connected on Sunday

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 3 17:38:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20080801134435.GQ99951 at hoeg.nl>
>            Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> writes: : Maybe I'm replying to too
> many messages at the same time, but as John : said, it's a lot easier making
> the remaining drivers work after the code : has been integrated. It's not
> like we're permanently carving things into : stone - we've almost got a full
> year to get it all working again.
>
> We've heard this promise before.  It rarely has resulted in the promised
> work.  I don't think this is the right way forward.

I have to admit that I was quite pleasantly surprised that so many network
drivers became MPSAFE in the last couple of months, and USB will nicely round
that out.  It may help if Ed could take whatever notes he sent Peter about sio
and drop them on the Wiki as the beginning of a howto on adapting drivers to
the new tty layer.  One thing I would really like to see is us taking this as
an opportunity to get more people interested in maintaining the tty drivers we
have -- now is a really good opportunity for people do adopt drivers and
update them.

I fall down a bit more on the Warner side here also: I think posting the docs
in advance of removing the drivers, and having a couple of weeks gap between
those events, is a much more productive way to achieve the goal of updated
drivers.  It also means that we don't have timeline gaps when serial drivers
for devices are broken: when people are playing the binary search game to find
some other problem, the last thing they want is to hit dates where their
system consoles don't work.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge