Integration of ProPolice in FreeBSD

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Sat Apr 19 13:05:10 UTC 2008

Hi Garance,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:45:13PM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>  At 6:58 PM +0200 4/18/08, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > The patch enables SSP for all archs.  Unfortunately I've not been able
> > to test it myself on other arch than i386, but two years ago I've got a
> > successful feedback from Pascal Hofstee on amd64.  ISTR there was a
> > sparc64 user too, but I'm not sure.
>
>  I have run it on FreeBD/PowerPC for a short time.  Seemed to work fine,
>  but I had this installed on a set of partitions which have sense been
>  erased.  They were not erased due to problems with Propolice, but just
>  because I wanted them for some other purpose, and I wasn't really to
>  commit to always having propolice turned on.
>
>  I *think* I also had a build of FreeBSD/sparc64 with this turned on,
>  but again it was just a test system which has since been overwritten.
>  (actually I've upgraded to a newer, slightly faster sparc64 machine,
>  and lost my propolice build while making that upgrade).

Thanks for this feedback, I'm please to hear this has worked on other
arch too.  I had done the src/sys/boot/ part blindly for those, so I'm
very happy to hear that now.  You should have told me before! :)

>  The only reason I did the above is because I had a friend who wanted
>  to move from OpenBSD to FreeBSD, and really wanted Propolice as a
>  working option on his machines.  After I showed that it did work, he
>  built freebsd with propolice on both i386 and amd64 platforms.  But
>  in his case he screwed up the first time he cvsup'ed those systems,
>  just because the cvsup clobbered some of the local changes he had
>  made for propolice.  So he ended up deciding it was safer for him to
>  skip propolice for now, until it's all part of the base FreeBSD system.

Yes, upgrading a SSP-patched system is really a pain because this is
only a patch.  The advised way is to patch -R before doing cvs update
and the reapply the patch.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen