tt_ioctl

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Apr 9 10:56:46 UTC 2008

In message <18428.624.490619.248235 at gromit.timing.com>, John E Hein writes:

>I guess I'm leaning toward a separate
>uftdi0.ctl minor device despite what the sourceforge
>linux driver does.

That would be my inclination too.

We had something slightly similar with a sync/async board at one
point.

The driver never made it into the tree for a number of reasons, but
the same problem was present: We have one physical connector, and
it can either be a tty or something else.

By adding a uftdi0.ctl (or whatever you name it, "uftdi0" is probably
even preferable) you get a separate and direct channel to the
device, and you can issue whatever IOCTLs, generic (preferably)
or device specific, it takes to make the port do whatever non-tty
task it is you want.

That seems like the sensible model to me.

> > Otherwise, use ugen, it's easier, simpler and likely faster.
>
>You can't use ugen, [...]

Forget that then.