Question about network interface naming and devfs(5)!

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 7 20:25:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:01:18PM +0200, Ermal Lu?i wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it seems that devfs(5) is not consistent with network interface naming feature.
>
> Network interface naming is offered by ifconfig $interface name $name.
> This feature is really helpful to distinguish interfaces properly in a
> machine and helps in scripting things.
> The problem is that the ioctl that renames the device advertises it as
> an interface arrival event which devfs does not handle and such you
> have inconsistence between ifconfig output and the information in
> devfs.
>
> Are there any plans to fix this or is there any issue for not making
> devfs(5) aware of network interfaces events?!

I haven't dealt with it because a) there's no way to rename entries
which currently means you've have to destroy the current entry and add
a completely new one which would break applications using the devfs
entries across renames and b) I think the devfs entries are a mistake and
should die.

-- Brooks