C++ in the kernel

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Oct 27 03:50:25 PDT 2007

Alfred,

Thanks for the feedback.

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Heh, Click was extremely unstable for us on both FreeBSD and Linux.

I have been working with Eddie Kohler to stop the bit-rot of the kernel
support for FreeBSD and submitted a mega-patch a few months ago. Can you
provide further details to me off-list of what isn't working for you?

> I do think it would be nice to suppost at miniumum a subset of
> C++ in kernel, but I think someone would have to come forward to do
> the heavy lifting. :)

I think what the Netlab results show is that it's possible to use a
relatively rich set of C++ language features in an embedded context
without bloat. Certainly Bjarne Stroustrup seems to be less in favour of
the 'reduced subset' approach touted a few years ago.

The point being, C++ makes it very easy to write bad code, however, that
is no reason to rule out its use as it is a very powerful tool when
wielded correctly, as my past and current experience working on XORP has
borne out.

regards
BMS