sensors fun..

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 18 04:17:02 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20071018113431.K60783 at fledge.watson.org>, Robert Watson writes:
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Max Laier wrote:
>
>> There was a suggestion a few years ago on linux-kernel that procfs should
>> be changed to export all data in XML -- on face value, that might be read
>> as a rather mean joke, but really, it's quite a sensible suggestion.
>
> Some years ago, some nutcase argued for exporting kernelstate in XML in an
> article on DaemonNews, and who knows, he might even have gotten away with
> committing it to some unsuspecting BSD operating system if nobody paid
> proper attention to his harebrained scheme.

:-P

It almost makes one wonder if we shouldn't define a new sysctl data type for
structured text data.  Mac OS X almost universally stores configuration
information in plist files, which means that you can use a generic plist
editor to make changes and perform basic syntax checking on configuration
files you've never seen before.

However, this does range a bit far afield from the thread topic.  The basic
point I was making is that sysctl offers a more semantically rich and, to be
honest, better defined way of interacting with live subsystems than device
files do in a generic sense.  You can hammer down semantics for device nodes,
but the code associated with sysctl is much simpler when the goal is to offer
mib-like semantics even in quite simple cases (integer set/put).

One of the concerns in this thread that did catch my eye is the notion of
providing a sensor framework that ends up forcing us to distinguish control
paths from monitoring paths.  I dislike ioctl as much as the next guy, but
where there's a sensor monitoring fan speed, logically associating the
controls for fan speed with that sensor is important.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge