kernel level virtualisation requirements.

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Sat Oct 13 00:53:47 PDT 2007

Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, James Gritton wrote:
>
>> Julian Elischer wrote:
>>
>>> What I'd like to see is a bit of a 'a-la-carte' virtualisation
>>> ability.
>>> My question to you, the reader, is:
>>> what aspects of virtualisation (the appearance of multiple instances
>>> of some resource) would you like to see in the system?
>>
>> Of course everything jail has now, and all the network bits that
>> vimage offers.
>>
>> CPU scheduling, in particular schedule the CPU first by jail, and then
>> by processes within jail.
>
> So the question I have is; why do all of these things instead of
> vmware/xen/other full virtualization?  We can implement these
> technologies.  Specifically, I could do the CPU scheduling.  However,
> why not just fix Xen?  There may be a very good answer to this, I just
> don't know it.

Generally, you can run several hundred (or more) virtual jail/vimage
style machines. xen/vmware uses so much more resources that you are usually limited to
so number like 20. it is possible in a virtual networking setup to have a single process
spanning several virtual environments (for example one process with a socket in each of
the child universes).

It is a valid question, but there is I think a place for both types of
partitioning.