monolithic

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Nov 13 09:44:35 PST 2007

Albert Meyburgh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read that freebsd is monolithic.  Is that still true?
>
> If I wanted to add functionality like device drivers, or maybe my own
> tcp/ip stack, (or maybe add the facility to allow modules) do I have
> to download the entire source and add it in there?
>
> nothing available like a kernel module in linux? (which afaik you can
> attach at runtime)

Linux and BSD are both Monolithic.

That means that all the system services run in a single address space
under a single protection domain.  On Both Linux and BSD you can add modules
which are dynamically linked in as you need them.
In both cases you will need at leas the kernel include files (and sometimes more)
to compile and link against.

> also when I add packages using the ports system, then remove them, are
> they completely gone or are there still random conf files / misc..
> laying around slowly bloating the hdd

If the config files are unchenged they will be removed but if you have edited them,
they will remain so as to not lose your information.
People usually remove a port/package so they can reinstall a newer version.
They'd usually get pissed off of their hard work got blown away.

pkg_delete will tell you what files it is leaving behind.

> also is there a way to scan for unused packages somehow and list them

define unused?