Rename sys/*/conf/DEFAULT to _DEFAULT

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 6 08:18:14 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 08:05:21AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> Hi folks,
> In the days of modern Unix, many (most?) of us have come to expect and
> depend on command-line completion that today's modern shells provide in
> order to reduce typing (and inaccurate typing).
>
> Given that premise, the "DEFAULTS" file in sys/*/conf constantly trips me
> up as my kernel files are named "DEO".  I know others with kernel configs
> named with a 'D' that grumbled when command-line completion was now
> thwart due to "DEFAULTS".
>
> A very simple solution to this is to rename "DEFAULTS" to "_DEFAULTS".
>
> One of the purposes for DEFAULTS was to semi-hide devices and options
> that really aren't optional (unless you really know what you're doing) or
> have POLA concerns so they would not be causally removed.  So this name
> change also puts this file to a different "name space" - and in fact may
> better convey "there are no user serviceable parts in here".
>
> Thoughts?

On one level this seems reasonable, on another, I don't see the point
since on ever platform kernels beginning with G or N have this issue and
on i386 you add at least S and P to that list.  It's slightly annoying,
but IMO not terribly important and this doesn't actually solve more
than 1/3 of the problem at best so I'm not convinced.

-- Brooks