C++ in the kernel

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Nov 2 12:43:28 PDT 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> One major problem I see about a C++ runtime, is that it puts even
> worse constraints on our compiler situation, raising the bar
> significantly for any non GPLv3 compiler we might consider.

I agree with this point. I am certainly not suggesting that we become
more, not less, tightly coupled to a particular vendor's compiler.  I
believe Stroustrup would also agree on the first -- it must have occured
to him how to save people from reinventing the runtime support wheel
every time a new compiler comes out.

I agree with your other point regarding the isolation K seems to offer
in this respect. Re your last point, scanning the feeds it sounds like
Linux are having problems with GCC code generation too right now.

Anyway, I hope people do not form the opinion from this thread that
there is an Operation Impending C++ Doom up my sleeve -- there ain't --
however I do feel the need to give people a whiff of the C++ coffee. It
is an advanced tool which has a high learning curve; it does have a
place in kernels and embedded systems; it's an industry fact of life;
like anything in life, it has its good and its bad.

Thanks for informed debate!
BMS