rusage breakdown and cpu limits.

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue May 29 23:57:02 UTC 2007

Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2007, Bruce Evans wrote:

>>> So, there should be somewhere to store the aggregated stats from
>>> threads that have already exited.
>>
>> We already have that.  It is the per-process rusage.  There is already
>> delayed accumulation for tick counts (these are currently accumulated in
>> the rusage from the thread at context switch time).  There is also
>> delayed conversion of stats to the form needed by getrusage().  Stats
>> are kept in raw form as long as possible (forever if nothing calls
>> getrusage() or wait[34]() to look at them) to avoid conversion overhead
>> for them on every exit().  So there are many precedents for delayed
>> stats handling.
>
>> From thread_exit():
>         /* Add our usage into the usage of all our children. */
>         if (p->p_numthreads == 1)
>                 ruadd(p->p_ru, &p->p_rux, &p->p_stats->p_cru, &p->p_crux);

This is only called when the last thread is exiting (as part of exit())
.... and we are adding our process's rusage to the storage for
have already put their rusage numbers. I assume that
wait() will reap it from there later.

making it per-thread would effectively remove the conditional and make something
similar happen on every thread_exit(). (not  necessarily a bad thing).