RFC: Removing file(1)+libmagic(3) from the base system

David O'Brien obrien at NUXI.org
Thu May 24 15:59:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:38:46AM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
> FreeBSD architects and file(1) maintainer,

Actually I was in progress of updating file(1)/libmagic(3) in -CURRENT
yesterday morning (before seeing any of this thread).  I delayed due
to needing to get my system updated to GCC 4.2 in the base + library
symbolizing.

Based on the responses to this thread I'm going to go ahead with the
import.  If file(1)/libmagic(3) gets later removed so be it.  The Attic
will be more up to date. :-)
I'm not working on it due to trying to start a fight - but rather there
seems to be sufficient support to go ahead with the upgrade.

--
-- David    (obrien at NUXI.org)
   NOT Sent via my Crackberry Handheld