RFC: Removing file(1)+libmagic(3) from the base system

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed May 23 19:12:32 UTC 2007

In message <46546E16.9070707 at freebsd.org>, Colin Percival writes:
>FreeBSD architects and file(1) maintainer,
>
>I'd like to remove file(1) and libmagic(3) from the FreeBSD base system
>for the following reasons:

>1. I don't see it as being a necessary component of a UNIX-like operating
>system.

On this I would tend to disagree strongly.  The ability to identify
random files have been a key component of UNIX for many years and
I think people would be significantly surprised if we stopped
providing it.

One mitigating option would be to open the magic file and input
and sequester the file process in a jail.