HEADS DOWN

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 17 20:45:35 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
>> It is wrong of the PHP authors to assume that all the world is GNU /
>> Linux.
>
> Yes.
>
>>  I see no reason not vindicate their mistakes.
>
> I do: these days I need to heavily justify using FreeBSD instead of
> Linux, and "the applications you want to run don't actually work on
> FreeBSD" is not a nice thing to say.

It depends on your audience.

> I feel that nowadays it's not a contest in popularity, it's damage
> control phase.

Another way to look at this is that a good portion of the existing
FreeBSD userbase relies on our higher standards for things like this,
and to break faith with them would be a bad thing.

We are not interested in making FreeBSD more popular as a primary
goal, we're interested in making it better as a primary goal, which
will end up making it more popular.

Doug