A problem with the select(2) interface

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed May 16 13:23:22 UTC 2007

MQ <antinvidia at gmail.com> writes:
> No, that is not what I want. I think we'd better add a comments that
> we *DO NOT WRITE TO THAT ADDRESS*, what the manual describes is that
> there may be some platforms which write to that address. It's not the
> same thing.

Some platforms update the timeval and some don't, so portable
applications must simply assume that its contents are undefined after
the select(2) call.  It can not be relied on to contain either the
initial value nor the amount of time remaining.  Thus your proposed
change is pointless.

And stop yelling, please.  It won't get you anywhere (except possibly my
kill file).

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no