HEADS DOWN

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Sun May 13 23:01:26 UTC 2007

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Ivan Voras <ivoras at fer.hr> [070513 15:12] wrote:

>> Even if it's forbidden by POSIX or other standards, FreeBSD isn't
>> popular enough to be one of the systems that don't support it.
>
> I don't know about that, for the longest time Linux's "fsync"
> call was async because it was "faster", I'd not like to compete
> on those terms.  Worse is not better.

Of course not, but I dragged out an example where the implementation
could handle a situation, but chose not to (any that only in certain
cases) in the name of standards compliance.  I consider this wrong
because the "lenient" behaviour is a superset of required one, and in
any case the choice shouldn't be made based on uid.

In short, "beware of arbitrary standards' compliance" :)