HEADS DOWN

Andrey Chernov ache at freebsd.org
Sat May 12 15:24:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 04:10:44PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
>  Actually, I'm not convinced that crashing the program isn't the right
>  answer. If an application corrupts memory managed by libc or other
>  libraries, crashing is generally considered an entirely acceptable failure
>  mode.

It can be corruption, yes, but it can be intentional action too. Many
programs directly perform environ clearing or modifications. In case it
will be directly allowed to put anything there, I would insist of removing
not errx() but even warnx(), but situation is unclear. POSIX forbids
modifying environ directly, but C99 have getenv() only and allows
direct modification of environ, so what happens depends on standard and
common practice.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/