HEADS DOWN

Sean C. Farley sean-freebsd at farley.org
Sat May 5 21:48:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Andrey Chernov wrote:

> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 03:56:21PM -0500, Sean C. Farley wrote:
>>  Interestingly, gcc 3.4.6 on -STABLE does not do such a great job even
>>  with -minline-all-stringops.  I do have CPUTYPE?=pentium4 in
>>  /etc/make.conf.  Maybe this is only an issue with i386 similar to what
>>  you mention below?
>
> Even "cc -O" do that, without any flags, see live example below:

I have the same assembly output.  Inlined __strleneq() ends up being
faster on my system than GCC's strlen() when I changed all calls where
checkEquals equaled false.  I believe you that it should be faster with
GCC's version, but it is not ending up that way on my Athlon XP and
Pentium 4 systems running FreeBSD 6.2.

There is now a sysenv-strlen.c that I tested the timings.c program in
regressions/environment directory.  It keeps showing __strleneq() to be
faster.

Sean
sean-freebsd at farley.org