nx-bit and TPM

Alexander Leidinger info at plot.uz
Fri Mar 30 12:19:08 UTC 2007

Quoting Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> (from Thu, 29 Mar 2007
23:36:24 +0200):

> Igor <runixd at gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm was looking through handbook and wikipedia and it appears FreeBSD
>> doesn't support hardware (nor software) nx bit.
>> There also doesn't seem to be any support for TPM (Trusted Platform Module).
>
> I believe NX support was never implemented because Intel's version of
> AMD64 didn't support it.  As for TPM, I don't see the point.

This should not stop us in using it on amd64 if available. I think one
of the problem was/is the lack of time/man-power. So if someone comes
up with a good (enough) implementation which works on our supported
hardware, I don't think it will be rejected.

Regarding TPM: there are good an bad uses for it. As our policy is to
provide possibilities and not to force policies on our users, I don't
see a reason why we will not incorporate good code regarding this. I
also think that we don't have it, as nobody needed it or wasn't
allowed to contribute code.

But all this is better suited for arch@ I think (or maybe amd64@ in
case of NX).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
"If a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far."
		-- Paul White