Multithreaded qsort(3)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Mar 18 19:43:14 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-17 23:43, Kip Macy <kip.macy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Reminds me of how Solaris blindly uses vfork for implementing
> system(3). It was very easy for a naive user (me) to call system from
> a multi-threaded python application. I had numerous failures that were
> impossible to track back to system(3).

It seems like an 'obvious' optimization, though.  vfork() will block the
parent process until the child runs exec(), and the whole purpose of
system is to exec() a shell and run an external command.

Can you elaborate on the problems you were seeing?  It sounds like
something both interesting and educational :)