setenv() update in 7-CURRENT time frame

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Wed Jun 27 19:07:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:29:23PM -0500, Sean C. Farley wrote:
> Sean
>   1. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-May/041577.html
>   2. http://www.farley.org/freebsd/tmp/setenv/setenv.diff
> --
> scf at FreeBSD.org

Hi,

I support your changes.  I was TA'ing a Unix Systems Programming
course last year, and it surprised me that when students wrote their
assignments using setenv()/putenv() on Linux, that it was different
from FreeBSD....in this case, Linux was standards-conformant and
FreeBSD was not.

It would be nice to make FreeBSD conformant as well.

For what it's worth, on OS X/Darwin, it looks like they have made
these functions standards conformant as well:

char    *getenv(const char *);
int      putenv(char *) __DARWIN_ALIAS(putenv);
int      setenv(const char *, const char *, int) __DARWIN_ALIAS(setenv);
int      unsetenv(const char *) __DARWIN_ALIAS(unsetenv);
void     unsetenv(const char *);

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc at crodrigues.org