*at family of syscalls in FreeBSD

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 8 16:23:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Roman Divacky wrote:

>> It looks like draft 3 will be released June 15, 2007 (in 10 days).
>
> is it ok to have this committed after June 15 (afaik the branching day)? maybe
> without the native syscalls but with the kern_fooat() backend. (ie. *at syscalls
> can be added for 7.1R with a few lines patch)

I don't have any objection over adding linux compat functionality.
I just don't want us to add native functions that don't conform
to POSIX, mostly the API is what I am concerned about.  We can
change the behavior slightly to conform with whatever POSIX
dictates, but we shouldn't knowingly introduce non-conforming
APIs (because once 7.0 is released, we'll would always have to
support both the non-conforming APIs as well as adding and
supporting the conforming APIs).

--
DE