Assembly string functions in i386 libc

Bruce Evans brde at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 16 10:31:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Sean C. Farley wrote:

> Actually, the reason I had __pure in main.c was because it exists in
> string.h.

And I don't have it there since I tested on an old version of FreeBSD.

> Using or not using __pure with gcc-3.4.6 has no effect for me even with
> the literal argument regardless of optimization (-O0, -O1, or -O2).

Not gcc-4.2?  gcc-3.4.6 is also for an old (but latest released) version
of FreeBSD.  Maybe all the __pure's added to <string.h> actually have an
effect only with gcc-4.

>> ...[A64 in 32-bit mode similar to AXP]
>
> BTW, does AXP refer to Athlon XP or Alpha AXP?  When I first saw you
> write AXP, I thought it was an Alpha.  :)

It means both, and I think it is in more common use for alpha, but
alpha is dead :-).  Common use seems to be to spell out "Athlon [tm]",
probably for marketing reasons, but the chips are labeled AXP and that
is easier to type, so I use it a lot.

Bruce