Porting OpenBSD's sysctl hw.sensors framework to FreeBSD

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 11 17:53:26 UTC 2007

* Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> [070711 10:49] wrote:
> Quoting "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> (Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:33:51 +0000):
>
> > In message <20070711190546.4b202080 at deskjail>, Alexander Leidinger writes:
> > >Quoting "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> (Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:54:40 +0000):
> >
> > >You are focusing on physical devices which are specially build as a
> > >sensor for some specific stuff. I put my focus on the kernel framework
> > >which allows to unify the handling of sensoric data from kernel
> > >devices.
> >
> > I'm trying to point out that your kernel framework belongs in userland.
>
> It's not my framework.
>
> > There is no benefit from having it in the kernel.
>
> You need to get some information out of the kernel somehow (you cut
> this part of my mail). And as far as I understand the high level
> description (presentation in the net) of this framework, this does this
> in an unified way. Do you propose to get the information out of the
> kernel in a non-uniform way?

Possibly, one way to do that is to provide a well thought out
userland library that can make for a nice interface.  If by
doing it userland the kernel implementation can be kept smaller
and more simple it might be a win.

That said, it may be a loss if you wind up having to duplicate
work over and over for different devices it may be a loss.

Remember, once the kernel interface is exposed it has to be there
almost forever, while a userland interface and much more easily
be adapted.

--
- Alfred Perlstein