select timings

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Jul 9 02:53:31 UTC 2007

On 2007-Jul-08 20:46:40 -0400, Diane Bruce <db at db.net> wrote:
>It is a rather naive test program, close all fd's except
>for 0,1,2 of course, then open /dev/null multiple times, then do
>a select() on each descriptor.  ~db/selt.c

Thanks for the testing.  Can you please feed the output through (eg)
src/tools/tools/ministat.

>I will be trying some other select tests.
>I suspect with a sparse fd_set, jeffr's results will be better than stock.
>We'll see.

Having a very large number of selected FDs return ready is unrealistic
- I can't think of any real-world situation where this would occur.  A
more realistic situation would look like a Poisson distribution with a
small lambda (probably 1).  Writing a test suite for this is probably
significantly more effort than your selt.c

--
Peter Jeremy