Fine grain select locking.

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 4 16:46:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Attilio Rao wrote:

> 2007/7/4, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org>:
>> There seem to be two parts of owning a benchmark:
>>
>> - Establishing baselines over time -- how doe FreeBSD 4.8, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1,
>> 6.2,
>>   6-STABLE weekly, 7-CURRENT weekly, and maybe a Linux or NetBSD version
>>   perform for the workload using otherwise identical configuration.
>>
>> - Measurement and feedback -- identifying bottlenecks, working with
>> developers
>>   to measure the results of specific optimizations, etc, across the life
>> cycle
>>   of the patch.
>
> Another problem here would be about the hardware availabilty (obviously I'm
> speaking about scalability improvements). Until now, tests have been done
> mainly on amd64 machines provided by Kris and Jeff, IIRC. Having a wider
> range of targets would help a lot in these cases.

The FreeBSD Foundation is currently working on updating the Netperf test
cluster from dual-cpu HTT boxes to 8-core systems, and from 1gbps to 10gbps
ethernet.  Hopefully this will improve access to larger multicore systems for
developers without local hardware.  This project has been "in progress" for a
while now, but will wrap up soon.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge