carp support into GENERIC

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Jan 29 22:14:39 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 22:21, Corey Smith wrote:
> Please CC: me as I'm not on list.
>
> Please consider adding "device carp" to the GENERIC kernel. We have
> many servers using carp and it increases the complexity of installs
> and (freebsd-update) upgrades when you have to build a custom kernel
> only for this functionality. The kernel size increase is small and the
> benefits are (IMHO) worthwhile.
>
> device carp is not in the GENERIC kernel and (AFAIK) it is very
> difficult to make a module to add this support via kld.  carp is also
> enabled by default in OpenBSD.

The problem with carp lies in the protocol number collision with vrrp.  I
won't go into the details of why this is the case, but right now it seems
there is no simple sollution to this.  If we are to build carp into
GENRIC, we must ensure that it plays nicely with vrrp.  One possible way
would be to wrap the packet hooks - #ifdef'ed right now - under a sysctl.
This is not too much work and seems the easiest way.

The main problem why carp can't easily be made a module is the fact that
it has to register itself as an ip protocol in inetsw - which is not
really ready for dynamic changes, yet.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org