RFC: libkse*.a in 7.0

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 11 05:52:32 PST 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Kostik Belousov wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 08:02:16AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> I work in the office of SUN in Luxembourg, and one of our ideas for a
>> client was to run a Solaris 8/9 in a zone of a Solaris 10 as a
>> replacement for machines with Solaris 8/9. As we have a service
>> contract with our client, we have to take some business constraints
>> into account. And one of those business constraints is that Solaris
>> 8/9 in a zone of Solaris 10 is not supported, as the kernel interface
>> (syscalls) changed in an incompatible way.
>
> Look at the project Etude.

The syscalls are only exposed in an ABI compliant way through the
libraries, which is what we should do also.  But I think if you
were to plop the Solaris 10 libraries (at least the symbol-versioned
ones) over the Solaris 8/9 image, it might have a chance of working
for you.  Hmm, unless the Sun private symbols in Solaris 8/9 were
not versioned and kept as compatible versions in Solaris 10.
It might be interesting to try it and see what happens ;-)

--
DE