libc-scoped function and Symbol.map

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 2 08:58:19 PST 2007

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Michael Bushkov wrote:

> Hi!
> If I add the internal libc-scoped function (named __getgroupmembership) to
> src/lib/libc/gen/getgrent.c, I need to add its name to Symbol.map, don't I?

If the function is meant to be used outside of libc, then yes.
If the function is only meant to be used by the FreeBSD base
system (not ports or other SW maintained elsewhere), then
it should be in the FBSDprivate namespace.  If this function
is meant to be used outside the FreeBSD base, then it goes
in the FBSDpublic namespace.  Once in the public namespace
and it hits a release, we commit to maintaining an ABI
compatible version of it forever (*).

(*) Most likely for many years anyway.

--
DE