GSoC <Generic input device layer> project community intro and sync

thIOretic thIOretic at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 17 17:41:30 UTC 2007

Hi, hackers.

I'm working on 'Generic input device layer' GSoC2007 project (http://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2007). This mail is actually to introduce my ideas and to synchronize it with current community efforts.

--Intro--

The project addresses input devices handling and multiplexing. The proposal with raw design is located at http://wiki.freebsd.org/GenericInputDeviceLayer. It also includes current state overview.
In brief, the proposal suggests to implement input handling via usermode drivers stacks. Usermode stage is handled by usermode drivers framework. The device class specific data is specified by 'exporters'.

--Sync--

I would like to get info from everyone, who may take similar efforts in FreeBSD input handling. I'm aware of
 * newpsm framework
 * KGI/KII
 * vtc(4) was mentioned, but its code seems to do nothing from my project thesis perspective. Or I've missed something?
Maybe we will find some optimal design that will unify our efforts.

--Generic input handling ... even more generic layer--

I will appreciate any ideas from people, who may find the usermode drivers approach useful for their projects. Any useful discussion may result in some more generic design, that will fit more needs.
E.g. one of generalization ways is to allow exporters to specify drivers interface.

P.S. please 'reply all', so that all CC'd people receive their copy.

Thanks,

 - Maxim