where to put extra RSTP info

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Oct 3 16:47:12 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 01:27, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> The new RSTP code I have been working on has more info that can be
> shown and tweaked by the network admin when setting up the layer2 topo.
> I now have the problem of what utility to stuff it into.
>
>   a) ifconfig
>   b) netstat
>   c) some new util like bridgestat
>
> I realise that ifconfig is for setting the interface config and should
> not be abused.

I don't think this is true anymore.  Our ifconfig has moved to a more
complex management app since the merge with wicontrol (or since we
imported wicontrol functionality into ifconfig) - and I think this is a
good trend.  Instead of having many different config apps for each type
of interface.  You could hide the less interesting information behind -v
or a new switch in order to not pollute ifconfig's default use case too
much.

>                 I am tempted to add a new util, here is an example of
> what I need to show.
>
> Spanning Tree Parameters for bridge0
>   Protocol             :   IEEE 802.1W (Rapid STP),
>   Priority             :   32768 (0x8000),
>   Bridge ID            :   8000-00:d0:95:8e:56:7e,
>   Designated Root      :   8000-00:04:75:d1:f8:98,
>   Cost to Root Bridge  :   0,
>   Root Port            :   None,
>   Next Best Root Cost  :   100,
>   Next Best Root Port  :   8000-00:d0:95:aa:bb:cc,
>   Hold Time            :   1,
>   Topology Changes     :   98,
>   Topology age         :   5:02:36
>
> Interface 1
>   Role                 :   Designated
>   Link type            :   Point to Point
>
> Interface 2
>   Role                 :   Alternate
>   Link type            :   Shared

At least the short per-interface status certainly belongs into ifconfig's
default output - IMHO.

> Any suggestions?

I'd go for a new switch to ifconfig, that takes an interface name as
(optional) argument and then prints above information (for the bridge
specified in the argument).

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org