Where do MSI quirks belong?

John Polstra jdp at polstra.com
Mon Nov 20 15:59:22 PST 2006

On 20-Nov-2006 Jack Vogel wrote:
> On 11/20/06, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if 7501 works or not.  Scott might know if there are errata for
>> it.
>
> I've looked at the specs for that chipset, and yes, it appears to have MSI.
> You're right though, for anything to work surely needs MB support as well.
> MSI is only going to work on PCI-X and PCI-E you know.
>
> Earlier someone asserted quirks would be chipset based, you know
> one thing about Linux quirks is they don't tie them down to anything
> specific like that, its just some known issue with a way to detect it.
> I could imagine a motherboard maker that screws something up in
> their design so even if a chipset in theory supports MSI the thing
> still wont work, so I think we should be ready to handle that.
>
> When you say it doesnt work, what are you trying to use it with, the
> E1000s?

Yes, it's the 82546EB that's on the motherboard.  When MSI is
enabled and I try to do anything with its network interfaces, the
system hangs solid (won't even echo console keystrokes) at least
half the time.  When it doesn't hang, I get TX watchdog timeouts on
both interfaces.  It works perfectly if I disable MSI.

John