Willing to adopt Firewire (was Re: your mail)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 22 20:47:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Eugene M. Kim wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
>> Yes -- we're beginning to reach the point where we can start issuing
>> ultimatums on device drivers, but need USB and Firewire dealt with before
>> we can begin to push out stragglers.  For better or worse, those two
>> hardware categories can't be ignored.  Being at a point where we can
>> universally make assumptions about MPSAFEty is a very good place to be, and
>> we're very close with the network stack.
>
> Quick question: Has anyone stepped up for MP-guarding Firewire and boys?  I
> plan to begin hacking Firewire code soon (mainly to add support for 1394
> audio devices), so I probably can adopt them if they've been orphaned.

Not as far as I know -- I've not seen any real activity in the Firewire code
in some time, and certainly no movement in the direction of making it MPSAFE.
Your contribution here would be much appreciated!

Robert N M Watson