your mail

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 22 16:28:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Matthew Jacob wrote:

>> Non-MPSAFE network device driver compatibility adds significant overhead to
>
> I agree. I'm appalled at mixing the two. I had several years of that at Sun,
> thank you very much.
>
> CAM and all assocated drives should be MPSAFE. Period. Scott is working on
> this how.

Yes -- we're beginning to reach the point where we can start issuing
ultimatums on device drivers, but need USB and Firewire dealt with before we
can begin to push out stragglers.  For better or worse, those two hardware
categories can't be ignored.  Being at a point where we can universally make
assumptions about MPSAFEty is a very good place to be, and we're very close
with the network stack.

I've been following Scott's CAM work in P4 with great interest, albeit little
or no insight, since I know almost nothing about the SCSI layer.  My brain is
simply too small...

Robert N M Watson