[docs/96207: Comments of a sockaddr_un structure could confuse one]

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 12 15:24:38 UTC 2006

This is not an `architectural' change per se, but I believe the
subscribers of this list will be more experienced to answer to
the following PR.

What do you all think about it?

----- Forwarded message from Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:41:45 GMT
From: Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd at gmail.com>
Subject: docs/96207: Comments of a sockaddr_un structure could confuse one
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org

>Number:         96207
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Comments of a sockaddr_un structure could confuse one
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
In RELENG_6 (and others) a sys/un.h has following definitions:

/*
 * Definitions for UNIX IPC domain.
 */
struct sockaddr_un {
        unsigned char   sun_len;        /* sockaddr len including null */
        sa_family_t     sun_family;     /* AF_UNIX */
        char    sun_path[104];          /* path name (gag) */
};

/* actual length of an initialized sockaddr_un */
#define SUN_LEN(su) \
        (sizeof(*(su)) - sizeof((su)->sun_path) + strlen((su)->sun_path))

Comments of the sockaddr_un definition, together with the SUN_LEN(su)
definition, could confuse one. For example my first thought was that
there is a bug in the SUN_LEN(su) definition. About 9 years ago the
same confusion happened in the NetBSD project. Read a "SUN_LEN()
definition change" thread:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/1997/02/

and commit logs of revisions 1.14 and 1.15:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/sys/un.h

Back to FreeBSD, I think the "/* sockaddr len including null */"
should be changed to "/* sockaddr_un len without NUL */"
and the "/* path name (gag) */" should be changed to
"/* NUL-terminated path name */". The unix(4) manual page already
gives the right information about that.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Already in the description