[Fwd: Adding hier/mtree support for HAL]

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Tue May 9 15:06:26 UTC 2006

On 2006-05-08T18:32:50-0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> just doing a quick look around, I see that apple use /Volumes for this..
>>
>> Yes.  I've heard at least one objection to an uppercase directory name,
>> but /Volumes or /volumes is certainly a possibility.
>
> I personally object to directory names that are longer than 5 characters
> and shorter than 10 characters.  I also object to the use of vowels,
> most constanants, and any ascii character value lower than 255.  All
> directories should also default to mode 000 unless they are created
> under another directory, in which case they should be 0000.  I'm sure
> that these are all perfectly reasonable objections that we can all agree
> to.

Bravo Scott, bravo!  You have (hopefully) crushed this bikeshed early in
it's life.  See my emphasis above as to why my vote (as if _I_ would
really have one...) would be for /media.  There is no pre-existing
/media, so you would think that adding it wouldn't break anything, and
God knows that the developers could spend their time on more meaningful
work than maintaining deltas for all dependencies for something as silly
as a change from /media to /foo.

Thanks FreeBSD developers, from a very appreciative consumer of your work.

--
Mike Oliver, KI4OFU
[see complete headers for contact information]