KAME/Fast IPSEC (was Re: netatm: plan for removal unless an active maintainer is found)

George V. Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Fri Mar 17 02:32:44 UTC 2006

At Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:36:19 +0000 (UTC),
Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> with hopefully enough time this problem will be solved during
> the year. This will also need some netinet6 work,...
>
> What you can find at
>  	http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/ipv6/
> is far from being complete or fully up-to-date but it's a start...

Sorry to chime in late, server upgrade.

We (Bjoern, myself and a few others) are actively working on this.  I
am working first to make the system work in this way:

1) INET6: Kame IPv6, no IPSec
2) INET6 + IPSEC: Pure Kame IPv6 and IPSec
3) FAST_IPSEC: v4 Fast IPSec
4) INET6 + FAST_IPSEC: Kame v6 + FAST IPsec v4 and v6

That is we will be able to use Kame IPv6 with either Kame IPSec or
FAST_IPSEC.

The long term goal is to have only one set of code for IPv6 and for
IPSec, but that is going to take a bit more work.

I have started the changes to make 4 possible in a p4 branch.  For
those with access look at branches marked fast_ipsec.

I want to do a lot of testing on this before putting it into CVS and
even though there is the TAHI test framework testing takes a while and
I want to try this with some more complex real networks.

Help, of course, is always appreciated ;-)

If anyone wants to be on my "little list of concerned parties" send me
your email and I'll try to send out regular patches and mails.

Later,
George