netatm: plan for removal unless an active maintainer is found

Wed Mar 15 17:58:20 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:29:03 -0700 (MST)
schrieb "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>:

> : > now available to work on the capi integration, and hopefully will do
> : > the SMP safety work as part of that.  If not, it's also on the
> : > chopping block.  It's a significant piece of otherwise unmaintained
> : > code, and something that's not trivially testable (at least, not by
> : > me or anyone I've talked to lately :-).  I don't want to see it leave
> : > the tree, but it needs to be updated so that it can run MPSAFE before
> : > 7.0.
> :
> : I may add, that Hans-Petter Selasky has a MPSAFE replacement (written from
> : scratch it seems) for I4B (AFAIK including capi) and the USB stack. I have
> : tested or reviewed neither of them, but as far as I can read in the
> : mailinglists, he adresses not only the issues you mention here, but he also
> : provides bugfixes and additional features compared to our current code base.
>
> The problem is that this code isn't busdma safe at the moment.  It was
> posted for review on the NetBSD lists and this was the biggest set of
> comments on tech-kern at netbsd.org.  Since it isn't busdma safe, we'd
> lose usb on sparc64 (and maybe arm) when this code is brought into the
> tree.  There have also been signficant concerns about the locking
> that's done in the code as well, but I've not reviewed it recently.
>
> There's been a lot of work done here, and that work is generally good,
> but last time I looked at the code it wasn't ready to be integrated to
> the tree.

The questions are:
 - What's less work to do?
 - Is there someone who is willing to do the work?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         The computer revolution is over. The computers won.
WL http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/registry/1FZ4DTHQE9PQ8/ref=wl_em_to/