cvs commit: src/sys/vm swap_pager.c vm_fault.c vm_map.c vm_page.c vm_pageq.c

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Mar 8 08:04:13 PST 2006

In message: <440EF0B0.1010203 at samsco.org>
            Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> writes:
: Peter Jeremy wrote:
: > On Tue, 2006-Mar-07 23:37:28 -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: >
: >>This is the first commit of many to do what the comment says.
: >
: > ...
: >
: >> Log:
: >> Remove leading __ from __(inline|const|signed|volatile).  They are
: >> obsolete.  This should reduce diffs to NetBSD as well.
: >
: >
: > K&R function definitions are even more obsolete but still used
: > throughout the kernel.  IMHO, potential diff-reduction to NetBSD
: > seems a fairly flimsy reason for a significant amount of churn.
: >
: > Also, any diff reduction with NetBSD is probably outweighed by
: > the diff increase with other FreeBSD branches.
: >
: > Maybe this should be treated like whitespace cleanup - something to
: > do if you're going to be doing something non-trivial in the source
: > file.  (There are probably other cleanups in the same category).
: >
:
: Yeah, diff increase with other FreeBSD branches is a big deal.  While
: sharing between RELENG_4 and more recent branches is pretty hard these
: days, a lot can be shared between RELENG_5, RELENG_6, and HEAD.

Would merging these to RELENG_6 help any?  RELENG_5 is dead after this
release anyway...

After all, with the new release cycle, there would never be a good
time to remove this old cruft from the tree since we'd always have
multiple branches to deal with.

Anyway, given some of the nasty comments I got I'm going to do this
only as I have to change other things in the tree for the moment.

Warner