Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 6 08:43:50 PST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Dag-Erling Smrgrav:
>> svk is not an alternative to svn, it's an svn client.
>
> As far as I understand svk, it is more than "just a svn client".  It uses
> some of the svn layers (file system, remote access for example) but add
> layers of its own for the distributed/decentralised concept.
>
> If it is just as way to replicate a svn repo, work on it and get the csets
> back to the main one, then it could be useful but it would not be a full
> dVCS.

The other nice thing about svk is that it is able to speak to other revision
control systems and pull changes between them -- i.e., CVS, Perforce, etc.

A "bad" thing about svk is its dependence on Perl, which we just finished
expunding from the base system a few years ago.

Robert N M Watson