Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Sat Mar 4 09:48:37 PST 2006

Chris BeHanna on 2006-03-04 12:11:24 -0500:

> 	And, as I recall, at the time, subversion's ability to manage
> branches in a lightweight fashion was just not there.
>
> 	How is it now?  If it still cannot compare to Perforce, then it's
> likely a non-starter.

From subversion.tigris.org:

"Branching and tagging are cheap (constant time) operations.

There is no reason for these operations to be expensive, so they aren't.

Branches and tags are both implemented in terms of an underlying "copy"
operation. A copy takes up a small, constant amount of space. Any copy
is a tag; and if you start committing on a copy, then it's a branch as
well. (This does away with CVS's "branch-point tagging", by removing the
distinction that made branch-point tags necessary in the first place.)"